Family Law Solicitors

Our experienced team is here to help with all of your family law matters - including but not limited to separation, child arrangements and financial remedy issues.

Find out more

We provide a brief explanation of the different services that we offer below and suggest you click the link for further information.

Co-habiting and Pre-nuptial agreements

Divorce, Annulment & Judicial Separation


We appreciate that the breakdown of a relationship and consequent formal separation can be very difficult for you and your family. The types of separation commonly include divorce, annulment and judicial separation. We have an experienced team on hand to assist you and guide you through the process from start to finish. We understand that there can be disagreements along the way and will be there to support you with the aim of achieving the outcome you seek. We will tailor our services to your personal circumstances and aim to reduce the stress by completing the proceedings on your behalf.
Maintenance and financial arrangements following separation or divorce

Children Matters

Our team can advise and assist with gaining or maintaining contact with your children. The end of a relationship can be more difficult when there are disagreements in respect of children. It is very important that such matters are approached with care and with a view to resolving the matters by way of agreement. We understand that this is not always possible but often we find with the correct specialist approach, unnecessary disputes can either be avoided or narrowed down. We seek to assist you by providing a client focused service that will take into account your concerns and aim to resolve them with a view to promoting the best welfare of any children of the family.
Domestic violence and abuse

A specific Issue Order or Prohibited Steps Order

Sometimes an issue can arise concerning the welfare of a child that the parents cannot resolve between themselves. A specific issue order is used to determine questions about a child's upbringing, for example which school a child should go to; whether the child can travel abroad; what type of medical treatment should be given, etc. A Prohibited Steps Order means that a person must have the court’s permission before doing something, e.g. the Court might decide to prevent a child from travelling abroad if they fear the child will not return. When you apply to the Court for either a Specific Issue Order or Prohibited Steps Order, the child’s welfare is the Courts first consideration. The court needs to be sure that making an order is better for the child than making no order at all. Should you wish to make a Specific Issue Order application or Prohibited Steps Order Application then our team can help either with the paperwork or in addition attendance at Court.
Contact with children

Financial Settlements

We can assist you with your financial arrangements following the end of your relationship. There are no hard and fast rules that determine the division of assets following the end of a relationship. Many jurisdictions ring-fence assets that pre-date a marriage or civil partnership and divide any property bought, earned or acquired during the marriage/partnership on a 50/50% basis. That is not the approach in the UK, meaning that in many cases the apportionment can be more beneficial to one or other of the parties. When the Court is asked to deal with financial matters, the starting point is that the parties have to disclose full details of their assets, property, money and income. First and foremost, consideration will be given to any childrens’ needs. After that the Court looks at what is fair in all the circumstances when it comes to needs of the parties. In practical terms this means considering:
  • The age of the parties;
  • Whether either has any health issues;
  • How long was the marriage/civil partnership?
  • What was each person earning? How much could they earn in the future?
  • Who will look after the children?
  • Should one party maintain the other? How long for?
Getting the right financial deal for you should not be left down to chance. If you require assistance with any aspect of resolving finances after the end of your relationship, please contact our family law solicitors today.
Parental responsibility Agreement or Order

Cohabitation & Unmarried Couples

Did you know that there no such thing as a ‘common law’ husband and wife? It is very important to ensure that such matters are handled by experienced legal representatives. The issues involved are often complex trust law matters and require an experienced team with access to experts to ensure your matter is handled with care. We are here to guide and support you through these proceedings and assist you with property claims and financial provision for children. We can also assist you with cohabitation agreements which are legally binding and assist you and your partner formally lay out agreements regarding financial aspects and reduce future doubts or disputes.
Child maintenance

Domestic Abuse

We stand against domestic violence and appreciate that it can arise in many forms (financial, sexual, physical or emotional abuse). It is not the case that you have to suffer silently. The resounding damage caused by domestic violence harms not only you but any children of the family. We can assist you by discreetly taking instructions and where applicable apply for emergency protections orders. These can include those preventing further abuse, violence, harassment or stopping the violent individual from coming near your home, you or your children. Contact us for a confidential conversation and we can make a plan of action to support you and provide the protection you deserve.
A specific Issue Order or Prohibited Steps Order

Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements

Although it is not the most romantic thing to consider, if you are planning to live with your partner, co-habit, enter a marriage or civil partnership you should give serious thought to what will happen to your respective finances should the relationship break down. Arguments about money and property once a partnership has ended can be costly, stressful and difficult to resolve. One of the ways of avoiding much of the expense and uncertainty is to agree in advance what will happen to your joint finances should your relationship end. We can help by advising on the likely division of assets in the event of relationship breakdown and in preparing an agreement to provide both you and your partner certainty in the future. Our family law solicitors have helped many couples get through this practicality and are highly experienced in this matter.
A specific Issue Order or Prohibited Steps Order

Parental Responsibility Agreement & Order

We can draft a parental responsibility agreement or help you apply for a parental responsibility Order. In the UK, Parental Responsibility means having the right to make decisions about a child. In effect, conferring a formal status that allows the person with Parental Responsibility to decide upon such things as where the child will live, where they will go to school, that they should have medical treatment, and such like. Only the mother of a child always receives parental responsibility as of right. Unmarried fathers do not automatically gain this status and therefore need to either reach agreement with the childs’ mother or apply to the Court for an order. It is also possible for other responsible adults such as a childs’ grandparents or other relatives to receive Parental Responsibility.
A specific Issue Order or Prohibited Steps Order

Child Maintenance

We can help negotiate an agreement or with gaining maintenance for your children where this is disputed. In the UK, parents are encouraged to agree payment of maintenance on an amicable basis. If this is not possible then you can ask the Court to intervene and set the amount, although more commonly used is a free service called Child Maintenance Options ( which can assist you regarding the various options that you have in relation to monetary claims for your children.

Call us now

Our team is waiting to hear from you so call
0161 250 7771 07546 785 771